Saturday, May 16, 2015

BSO/Classical New England — 2015/05/16

This week it's not a live concert that WCRB will present, but recent recordings of the orchestra under the baton of Andris Nelsons. Here's how they describe it on their BSO page:
Saturday, May 16, and Monday, May 25

Hear the most recent Boston Symphony recordings, including Wagner's Overture to Tannhäuser and the Symphony No. 2 by Sibelius, conducted by BSO Music Director Andris Nelsons, as well as Britten's Violin Concerto with soloist Gil Shaham.
(Some emphasis added.)

The Wagner was on the program for last September 27, and the Sibelius, November 8. Gil Shaham performed the Britten concerto with the BSO (but a different conductor) in the concert of November 3, 2012. So you can find a bit about the performances if you go to my posts for those dates.

The page I've linked above also has information about future BSO broadcasts/streams. As always, the broadcasts and webstreams begin at 8:00 p.m. Boston Time.

The Overture to Tannhäuser is Wagner in good form, IMO. (I like to say that if he had stuck to music for orchestra, and not tried to write for singing, Wagner could have won the enduring fame of John Philip Sousa. It's facetiously put, but I do think he writes much better for orchestra than for singers.) I'm also very much looking forward to the Sibelius. My first impressions of the composer were colored by the saying attributed to my grandmother: "A little Sibelius goes a long way." But as I began to listen to his music, I soon decided that it's really quite good.

As for the Britten, I seem to recall something a bit less lyrical than the other two. If they play it during my brother's weekly call from Japan, I won't be heartbroken, but otherwise I'll keep the radio on.

Notice that on Monday the 18th, they'll give us the Mozart final three symphonies, conducted by von Dohnányi, from March 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment