Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Te Deum

In thanksgiving for the election of the new pope, I thought it makes sense to post the traditional Catholic hymn of thanksgiving, the Te Deum, first in the Gregorian Chant, and then in a baroque setting from the 1600's, by Marc-Antoine Charpentier. The former is what would be done in ordinary church settings, and is probably about what Columbus would have used when he landed in the New World. The latter is a setting which I first heard when I was in college. It may have been my first real introduction to baroque music, and I was hooked. (This performance is significantly faster than people took it 50 years ago.)

Longtime followers may remember that I also posted links to other performances a few years ago for Thanksgiving Day. You can find that post under the label "Te Deum."

No comments:

Post a Comment