Saturday, April 18, 2020

BSO/Classical New England — 2020/04/18

WCRB reaches back just two years for this evening's concert. Neither work is on my all time favorites list, nor is the conductor or soloist well known to me. But the reviews are favorable, especially the one in the Intelligencer, which appeared after I wrote my post about it at the time of the performance. As I noted at the time, the Globe was also favorable, if tepid.

Here's the link to the performance detail page, and here's their synopsis:
For his second week of concerts this season, Tugan Sokhiev leads the BSO in Brahms's towering Violin Concerto, with the outstanding, Ukrainian-born, Israeli violin soloist Vadim Gluzman in his BSO winter season debut. Brahms wrote his concerto in 1878 for his lifelong friend Joseph Joachim. Closing the program is Prokofiev's wartime Symphony No. 5, a powerful, searching, and expansive work premiered in January 1945 with the composer conducting.
(Emphasis added.)

To round out the links, here's WCRB's page about the concert, and here's their home page.

I think if you listen, you'll hear some top flight music making, so I recommend tuning your radio, computer, or other device to WCRB at 8:00 p.m.



No comments:

Post a Comment